Quilt

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

This City Girl Only Lasted a Year

Last year I was settling into my new life in Montrose. I was reveling in my new, rural home with a great view; exploring Main Street and the farmer's market; getting into a new routine; and taking the boys to new parks and on scenic drives. As I read back over the blog for the past year, I have had many, many wonderful adventures for sure! A few heartbreaks, too.

The one part of the adventure that has been missing is having my nearest and dearest close by. While my family and friends have been adventurers themselves, coming out to visit and stay long weekends, my heart has had a hole in it since I moved. After working in hospice for the past year I have seen the impact of friends and family-or lack thereof-on my patients lives, and I have decided to change around my priorities. It isn't easy to find the same level of friendship and family support out here, and because of that I am going to return to where I know in my heart is home.

The next few weeks I will be doing some of my lasts visits to places that I have enjoyed, like the Ouray Hot Springs, Ridgway State Park, Telluride, and The Black Canyon...places that will no longer be in my backyard. I took some local pictures last week, just so I can remind myself in the future the many highlights small town living has held for me this past year...

My awesome front porch and the little Fall touches

Grandview Cemetery, my favorite place to walk

The Grandview Cemetery Garden

Chester and Stan's prayer stone stacks at Dennis Weaver Memorial Park

The view on the way to Ouray

Hay (I will miss the cows, horses and sheep that delight in it!)

I came to Denver this weekend, though, and had a few realizations. One was that I really enjoy "getting away" on weekends, which is what the mountains will be for me now. Being out of the city will become a treat instead of a lifestyle and that is okay with me. I also realized I can have parties again. Not that I couldn't in Montrose but I didn't have a lot of people to invite! I can re-join book club and have dinner with my family. I can plan holidays without worrying about the weather. I can see plays, art shows, symphonies, and take my God-children out on playdates. I can go to birthday parties and sip wine with good friends. I can settle in, get another dog, buy a house and make a garden. I can, in essence, return to the very things that make my heart sing.

The Western Slope has been good to me, but the city is just waiting for me to crack open all the delights once again.



No comments:

Post a Comment